Chicken Shawarma (Authentic)
Nb persons: 0
|This shawarma recipe is as authentic as you can get without actually owning a shawarma grill. It uses some ingredients that can be quite hard to come by unless you live in a large city - but then that?s what the internet is for - so much can be bought or sourced on-line. (see essentials for links to suppliers) The flavour comes from the marinade - 24 hours is the minimum I would marinade the meat for, but overnight will do... Serves 4 with large meat-filled portions|
|1lb or 450g||lamb meat, (leg is ideal), beef or chicken cut into thin strips|
|4 x||arab flatbreads, (khoubz araby), pitta breads or large flour tortillas|
|juice from 1||lemon|
|2 x tablespoons||white wine vinegar|
|1 x teaspoon||finely grated lemon zest|
|1 x teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
|1 x teaspoon||ground allspice|
|1 x teaspoon||good quality salt|
|1 x teaspoon||ground black pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground cardammon|
|3 x||finely ground pieces of mastic|
|1 x||onion, peeled and grated|
|3 x tablespoons||olive oil|
|5 x tablespoons||finely chopped parsley|
|1 x||red onion, peeled and sliced very finely|
|3 x||tomatoes roughly diced|
|1/2 cucumber finely diced|
|small||iceberg lettuce chopped or shredded, alternative|
|1 x||green pepper, (capiscum) finely sliced|
|1 x||teaspoon of sumac|
|1 x tablespoon||finely chopped fresh mint|
|1 x tablespoon||olive oil|
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl, then add the meat and mix again.
2. Marinade the meat in a fridge for at least 24 hours stirring the mix occasionally.
3. The next day take the meat mix from the fridge an hour before cooking, place in a sieve and drain the excess fluids.
4. Cover the meat and leave in a cool place out of direct sunlight.
5. Mix the salad in a bowl and mix in 1 x tablespoon of olive oil, adding the sumac.
6. Place the meat under a hot grill / broiler or on top of a hot barbeque for a few minutes each side, until cooked.
7. Warm the flat bread or pitta and place the cooked lamb on or in the bread.
8. Sprinkle the salad over the meat.
9. Sprinkle the tahini over the salad.
10. Wrap in greaseproof paper and enjoy!
Recipe uploaded with Shop'NCook for iPhone.