Nb persons: 0
Source: Cooks Illustrated
|6 tablespoons||vegetable oil|
|1/3 cup||lime juice, from 2 -3 limes|
|3 medium cloves||garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)|
|1 tablespoon||Worcestershire sauce|
|1 1/2 teaspoons||brown sugar|
|1 1/2 tablespoons||minced fresh cilantro leaves|
|3||boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed of fat, tenderloins removed, breasts pounded to 1/2-inch thickness|
|1 large||red onion, (about 14 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (do not separate rings)|
|1 large||red bell pepper, (about 10 ounces), quartered, stemmed, and seeded|
|1 large||green bell pepper, (about 10 ounces), quartered, stemmed, and seeded|
|8-12||flour tortillas, 6 inch|
1. In medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, 4 tablespoons oil, garlic, Worcestershire, brown sugar, jalapeņo, cilantro, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Reserve 1/4 cup marinade in small bowl; set aside. Add another teaspoon salt to remaining marinade. Place chicken in marinade; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 15 minutes. Brush both sides of onion rounds and peppers with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, using large chimney starter, ignite 6 quarts charcoal briquettes and burn until coals are fully ignited, about 20 minutes. Empty coals into grill, spreading them in even single layer; place additional 20 unlit coals over lit coals on one side of grill to create two-level fire. Position grill grate over coals and heat grate 5 minutes; scrape clean with grill brush.
3. Remove chicken from marinade and place chicken smooth side down on hotter side of grill; discard remaining marinade. Place onion rounds and peppers (skin side down) on cooler side of grill. Cook chicken until well browned, 4 to 5 minutes; using tongs, flip chicken and continue grilling until chicken is no longer pink when cut into with paring knife or instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part registers about 160 degrees, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Meanwhile, cook peppers until spottily charred and crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice as needed; cook onions until tender and charred on both sides, 10 to 12 minutes, turning every 3 to4 minutes. When chicken and vegetables are done, transfer to large plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
4. Working in 2 or 3 batches, place tortillas in single layer on cooler side of now-empty grill and cook until warm and lightly browned, about 20 seconds per side (do not grill too long or tortillas will become brittle). As tortillas are done, wrap in kitchen towel or large sheet of foil.
5. Separate onions into rings and place in medium bowl; slice bell peppers lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips and place in bowl with onions. Add 2 tablespoons reserved unused marinade to vegetables and toss well to combine. Slice chicken into 1/4-inch strips and toss with remaining 2 tablespoons reserved marinade in another bowl; arrange chicken and vegetables on large platter and serve with warmed tortillas.
Recipe uploaded with Shop'NCook recipe organizer software.