|This recipe is liked by 0 person(s).|
Nb persons: 0
|There are many ways Upma is prepared; indeed, every upma cook usually will incorporate variations in flavour when making Upma. This variation is obtained by varying or emphasising particular spices. A typical recipe would include: Ingredients Wheat Rava (Cream of Wheat / Semolina) (1 cup)|
|Cooking oil, (3-4 tbsp)|
|Mustard seeds, (1/2 tsp)|
|Cumin, (1 tsp)|
|Ginger root, (1/2 tsp, grated)|
|Green chillies (3-5 med, chopped)|
|Chopped onions, (1 med, chopped) (some people may omit this for cultural reasons)|
|Salt to taste|
|Vegetables of choice:|
|Grated coconut, (3-4 tbsp, optional)|
|Lemon juice, (2 tsp, optional)|
Method of preparation
1. Dry-roast rava until it just begins to turn brown, then keep aside.
2. In a large saucepan/wok, heat the cooking oil.
3. Add mustard seeds and wait for them to sputter. Then add cumin, ginger, green chillies and chopped onions and fry until onions caramelise.
4. Add vegetables, salt and 2 cups of water, and bring to boil.
5. Add the roasted rava, turn down the heat, and mix quickly to avoid lumps forming.
6. The upma is done when all the water is absorbed by the rava.
7. Garnish with grated coconut, chopped cilantro leaves and lemon juice.
Recipe uploaded with Shop'NCook for iPhone.